Tuesday 19 April 2011

Tri-athletes excel in Barbados Sprint Triathlon event

From: Antigua OBSERVER


All four tri-athletes who contested the Barbados Sprint Triathlon held on Sunday in Barbados came away with notable results, though siblings Rory Butler and Tamiko Butler topped the list as they both had overall second place finishes in their respective divisions.
Tamiko recorded an overall time of one hour, 14 minutes and 28 seconds to finish second behind the UK’s Claire Bennett (1:11.10), with Christine Choy of Barbados clocking 1:20.40 to claim the number three spot.
Rory had an overall time of 1:08.46 for his second place finish in the men’s division behind Piers Vallance of the United Kingdom who posted a winning time of 1:05.27.
Another Antiguan, Andre Simon, earned a bronze medal when he clocked an overall time of 1:09.25.
Tamiko, during an interview with OBSERVER Sports yesterday, was happy with her results but felt her performance could have been better.
“I didn’t do as good on a bike as I thought I was capable of and then I really had a bad run. I got some bad stitches on the run and I think I ran slower than I have even ran a 5K, so I wasn’t hugely happy about that, but I did still manage to (finish) second and every race is a race and you can only do the best you can do,” she said.
The young athlete said she will now focus her energy on preparing for the upcoming Pan American Games.
“Well as my focus is on cycling, I am actually looking forward to the Pan American championships in Colombia in the first week of May and that is my main focus right now,” she said.
The four-member team left Antigua last Friday and returned on Monday morning. LIAT and Extreme Health & Fitness assisted in making the team’s trip possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment